Joy or serenity?


Apparently, there are no big differences. But a closer analysis shows us that serenity is basically the absence of anxiety. I'm calm: no problems, no worries. Everything is alright.
Which is a very rare condition. Especially in adult life.When does it ever happen to be without troubles?
For decades, mainstream psychotherapy has taught people to relax, in an attempt to expel fear and tension from life, as if they were a kidney stone.
But we are living organisms. We must be afraid! We must be ready to face the dangers, even at the cost of being more frightened and worried than is necessary. Anxiety is part of us. It is not a disease.
It must be managed, yes. But it makes much more sense to try to bring joy into life, rather than drive out fear.
Of course, there are situations where joy ... it's better if we do not try. The death row, for example.

But, if I have an exam tomorrow and I'm scared, what's the point of trying to relax? I can not do it! At that moment, anxiety is part of the game. Similar to a background noise, I have to keep it.
Much more interesting to try and have fun, despite everything. Adults should teach us this attitude in kindergarten.
The exam can become the excuse to eat ice cream for dinner.
But, beyond the exams, with what goal I get up in the morning? Follow a list of "I must ..." or "How do I have fun today?". Of course, I will pay my bills, I will lend me punctual to work, and things like that. But the meaning of my life, my compass, are the things that make me laugh or smile.
And I will try to do it today. I will not postpone it to tomorrow.

So, if you want a busy life, sign up for a relaxation course. If you want a happy life, accept fear, and be obsessed with fun.






Commenti